I’m looking for 4 or 5 disabled people who identify as gay, lesbian, bi, queer or trans to participate in individual interviews about their experience of sexual and/or erotic pleasure, particularly in relation to how their identity as, and lived experience of being, a disabled person affects their experiences. The interviews will be the research for my MSc dissertation in Gender and Sexuality.
If you think this is something you’d like to do, please read on – please pass this on to your friends and acquaintances as well.
If you would like to participate – or would like to ask me any questions, please email me at eshepp01 [at ] mail.bbk.ac.uk or leave a comment in the box below with a way to contact you (comments are not automatically published, and I will not reveal your personal information).
- You must be 18 or over at the time of interview.
- You must identify as disabled, with part/all of your impairment(s) affecting your mobility and/or range of movement or motor control; you can have multiple conditions (I include chronic illnesses and pain within disability).
- You must be sexually active – either currently or in the past. It’s up to you how you define sexually active, but if your disability/impairment is acquired, you must have been sexually active since that point. I include solo sexual activity – i.e. masturbation – as sexually active, but if you don’t, that’s ok too.
- You must identify as Queer, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, or Trans.
- You’re happy to talk about having sex, sexual and erotic pleasure, and your disability.
- You live in the UK.
Face to face interviews will be conducted in a location of the your choosing, if both you and my own access requirements can be met (including the services of a BSL interpreter if necessary; I do not speak BSL to anywhere near an appropriate level). Unfortunately, I’m not able to travel far outside of London, but I will make every attempt to do so if possible. . Otherwise, interviews will be conducted via Skype, or through e-mail, depending on your preference.
The interviews will be recorded, and you will have the opportunity to review and revise the transcripts. I think the interviews will take an hour or thereabouts if done by Skype or in person, and email interviews would involve maybe five or six emails being exchanged. I am also happy to do the interview through instant messenger if you’d prefer.
I am happy for you to have your assistant present if you wish, or a translator if you prefer to speak BSL or a language other than English. While I’m not able to pay you to participate, I am happy to cover the costs of a translator.
The basic questions will be the same for all participants, however, the direction of our conversation will be guided by your answers and what you want to talk about; I might have other questions, depending on what you say. You do not have to answer any question you are uncomfortable with, and I will stop or pause the interview should you wish.
The interview data and transcripts will be made anonymous in the final dissertation, and any other publication resulting from this work.
The following questions will be the initial “starter” questions, although some may not be relevant to you.
- Does your disability affect your current sexual/intimate relationship(s) or activities? How?
- Does your disability affect forming new sexual relationships? How?
- Do you think your impairment has changed how you approach or go about sexual activity? If you have always been disabled, or were disabled from childhood, do you think your disability affects your sexual activity?
- Does your disability play a role in your sexuality or how you see yourself as a sexual person?
- Has their impairment changed how you view and/or express your sexuality?
The following biographical information will be collected as well:
- Age, Gender, Sexual Orientation, Ethnicity
- Age of impairment occurring/developing
- Do they have/need a carer or personal assistant, if yes, is that person(s) a relative/friend, or an employee?
Getting In Touch:
If you would like to participate – or would like to ask me any questions, please email me at eshepp01 [at ] mail.bbk.ac.uk or leave a comment in the box below with a way to contact you (comments are not automatically published, and I will not reveal your personal information). I can also be reached on twitter, if that’s your thing.